Wednesday, March 13, 2013

VIC PLN - 2nd post


  • What are your current techniques for keeping your work organised, keeping track of resources and sharing these resources with others? How do you imagine the tools covered in this unit will change your workflow?

I have used Diigo for a number of years to catalogue websites.  I haven't used the group share function as yet and look forward to viewing the sites members of VICPLN find interesting.  Diigo is an excellent and efficient tool to use and it is currently in my tool kit.


Google Chrome is excellent, I hadn't used this before and have really enjoyed having a play around with it.  I have been thinking a lot lately about the greater need for synchronicity across devices, as I am getting an iPad and this will join my devices; home computer, school Macbook and iPhone, as an essential tool. 

Question to find an answer for:
Can I change the browser on my iPhone/iPad to Google Chrome?  Or is there an app?  


I have been meaning to create an Evernote account for years and so I was thrilled to have to do it as part of the process for completion of VIC PLN Unit 2.  I know of colleagues who use it with great success.  I need some more time using it and have bookmarked the Web Clipper function on my other devices to encourage this.   I am guilty of making notes on Word docs. and having too many files saved on my computer and Evernote will help me move away from this towards Cloud computing.


  • Is teaching workflow and organisation techniques to students an important task? What have you noticed about the workflow and organisational strategies of students?

At school we have a system called SIMON.  Staff and students have access to this and all documentation is stored within this system.  It is difficult to get students to sign up for other systems of organisation as there are age limits, the need for itunes accounts and the overall need to encourage students to use the school system.  Teaching students and staff about these wonderful Web 2.0 tools has to be very relevant, easy and accessible through the school internet (things are often blocked).  I will be discussing Google Chrome with the IT staff and considering how Evernote and Diigo could be implemented.  



I don't like the term 'digital natives' and believe that it is wrongly assumed that young people are fluent in the use of IT.  From what I have seen young people are fluent in taking photos of themselves and uploading them to social media with an improved filter.  Young people require just as much tuition as their older counterparts - but the difference is they are not scared of it and are willing to have a go, make mistakes, create and discover without PD.  I think that most students, in deed most people, would benefit from an introduction to a range of organisational and work flow Web 2.0 tools, the important thing is choosing the best fit for you and using it efficiently and consistently.


  • How have digital technologies and internet access changed the way we organise ourselves?

Access to digital technologies has provided us with the ability to have information at our fingertips in myriad locations.  We no longer need to lug around folders of paper, or even our laptops as we can easily login from one device; at work or at home, even on the tram, and access our information.   The ability to catalogue, tag, stack etc. our information has added another layer to the organisation ensuring greater efficiency in retrieval and the ability to share with the public.
 
Here is the link to the note I created using Evernote:
http://bit.ly/13SbMQu



No comments:

Post a Comment