Saturday, May 4, 2013

Unit 6:VIC PLN

Assessing my digital fluency:
I had good digital literacy prior to starting this course.  I use a variety of tools well and have experienced others and selected particular ones for their efficiency, ease and improvement in organisation, management and teaching.  My digital literacy is developing, I think I operate well in digital spaces, however I could replace some methods with digital tools.  For instance (dare I say it) I love my paper diary.  I have tried to convert, but I just keep going back.  I love calendars up on the wall and I still use a scrapbook to cut and paste recipes I like into.  The photos I do have (I dont take many) are in albums and I cant remember where the memory card is to put them on an external hard drive and back up somewhere.  Some habits are just too hard to break!

http://slav.global2.vic.edu.au/2012/04/23/guest-post-just-teach-the-normal-way-she-said/#.UYTqmSvbqoU
I found this blog post interesting.  I often find when I try to engage students in school curricula through the use of digital tools, that they regularly engage with outside of the classroom,  the results once achieved using traditional methods are not achieved with the digital tools.  Students dont take it seriously and dont want school curriculum to interfere with their social media.

School are institutions designed to support young people in being successful citizens in society.  This means a curriculum that supports current trends and information.  Therefore schools have a responsibility to prepare students with skills, like the appropriate use of Facebook, to ensure they have every opportunity for success.  

Educators have the ability to act as role models for responsible usage of digital tools.  I dont think this means being Facebook friends (people need a break from their work), however demonstrating through Edmodo, or a Twitter account how to behave online is important.  It depends on how the educator uses the social media and if they are comfortable with being professional in their own behaviour.  It is similar to an AFL player who is a role model in the community.  Teachers who are online, are also role models.

What are the characteristics of an effective learner?
  • High level of organisation
  • Inquisitive
  • Resilient
  • Problem solver
  • Motivated
  • There are a range of digital tools to support these characteristics.  Edmodo, Diigo, Twitter, Google, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest, Scoop.it.  The list is endless.
I find it difficult to predict how technology will change the way we learn in the future.  It is an infinite question.  I can only offer a comparison to the change that has occurred through each decade of the last 100 years and say it's going to be HUGE.



No comments:

Post a Comment