Monday, September 2, 2013

A European Vacation

Is there anything more delightful than learning a language (French) and then travelling to the country of that tongue?  Yes.  Being able to use the language.
I recently journeyed to France with mother and sister in tow, after studying French for near a year, the most I could manage conversationally was "je peux avoir un cafe" to which most would reply in English "anything with your coffee?"
I quickly learnt that my stumbling around the language with a French tutor in Northcote was a far cry from the rapid fire conversational language and I quickly succumbed to fingering through my translation dictionary.
Regardless the holiday was flipping amazing.  In Paris we visited the museums and galleries.   A highlight being Le Louvre and Versailles.  Just Incredible.
We travelled on to Italy.  Visiting Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre and Rome.  My highlights were basking in the sun in Monterosso and eating in Rome.  Actually eating everywhere.  We completed the holiday with three nights in Barcelona.  Which was not enough.  I didn't get a real feel for the city or the country and needed more exploring.
It was wonderful to have a three week Summer break in the middle of Winter.  I might even do it again next year!
P.S I took a Kindle on holidays with me.  It was fantastic. If you don't already have a Kindle. Get one.  they are worth every cent.  I managed to read the whole "Tomorrow when the war began series" books 1-7 by John Marsden as well as the follow on Ellie Linton Chronicles series books 1-3.  The battery lasts for months and they are a simple, efficient, wonderful travelling companion.




No comments:

Post a Comment